Sunday, September 6, 2015

THE BEST (VEGAN) COOKIES IN THE WORLD


Before I start gushing about these biscuits, I would just like to acknowledge my lack of blog posts for the past two years or so, not too long really...I have recently made the move to Dublin, Ireland for the next 9 months or so - I am currently living here with an oven I barely understand, but that's what this is all about and my plan is to revitalise my passion for this blog because it has been way too long! I thought what better way to do that, than to blog about these little pieces of heaven. So without further ado... 

These cookies are by far my most favourite thing ever to bake, which is a huge statement – but I am going to make that statement! I really am! The reason that they are my favourite thing to bake, is because they are my favourite baked thing to eat. These are the only baked item that I make and absolutely gorge myself on – no joke, I will eat 4-5 of these a day (which is kind of disgusting) but I’m not going to deny it, I may as well own it. These biscuits/cookies are gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free as well as completely vegan. They are expensive to make as they use expensive ingredients but they are quality ingredients and therefore quality cookies - they're "class" as the Irish would say.
They are inspired by my friend Juanita – it is her recipe and we usually call these cookies ‘Baked Juanites’, but I have tweaked mine slightly to make them vegan and to suit my tastes; as well as using ingredients that I can access more easily in Ireland! So Juanites – this post is for you! But almost this entire batch of cookies, is for me :) 


*This recipe yields approximately 25 small-medium sized cookies

Ingredients:

·      - 4 cups Almond Meal
·     -  1 cup chopped Walnuts
·      - ½ cup Pumpkin Seeds
·      - 1 cup Shredded Coconut
·      - 90% Cacao Lindt Chocolate
·      - ¾ cup Dried Cranberries
·      - ¾ cup Coconut Oil (original recipe calls for Macadamia Oil which is a delicious alternative to Coconut Oil – but more expensive!)
·      - ¾ Maple Syrup (original recipe calls for Rice Malt Syrup which is also a delicious alternative to Maple Syrup – and cheaper!)
·      - 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (the more expensive here – the better!)

Method:

·      1. Preheat oven to 150 Degrees Celsius (Or in my case, try and figure out how to use the Irish Gas lit oven and hope for the best)
·      2. Combine all dry ingredients in one large bowl and mix together
·      3. Whisk together wet ingredients (maple syrup, oil and vanilla) until well combined
·      4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until well combined
·      5. Form into cookies as big or as small as you like – I figure, the smaller you make them, the more you can eat! (at least that is my reasoning)
·      6. Bake in the oven – this will vary depending on your oven – in my normal fan forced oven this would take around 17-20 minutes for the cookies to bake; in my Irish oven – they took about 30 minutes
·      7. They are finished cooking when they are lightly golden brown – remember they will continue cooking a little bit out of the oven so try to avoid overcooking them – these are a dense, moist and filling cookie so will be a little softer than your regular chocolate chip cookie


No comments:

Post a Comment